Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charmaka

Chrome "Aw snap" tab crash, out of memory

5 posts in this topic

Recently, (since the release of Chrome version 56,) I have not been able to go more than 24 hours without my DoH tab in Chrome crashing with the "Aw snap!" error that says it ran out of memory..

Upon further investigation I found that the global variable _returnValues was over 500MB in size (due mostly to all the Museum object replies from the server being in _returnValues).

_returnValues is set in function HandleAjaxResponseScripts

_returnValues is used in function GAR

Array elements in _reutrnValues are never deleted so the array continues to grow with each server reply that contains data until all available tab memory is used up and the tab crashes, which can take days or hours (depending mostly on the size of a player's museum).

So the larger the museum you have the more you get crashes? (Not experienced many crashes yet but the laptop has been straining the last few months)

24 minutes ago, Miaow said:

So the larger the museum you have the more you get crashes? (Not experienced many crashes yet but the laptop has been straining the last few months)

Seems so. Inv/Mule/Storage itemid updates are pretty big on their own. Add to that museum objects (Each museum object for me is 141kb retained memory) and the memory usage adds up quick when saving every server reply.

I am testing a fix for this that deletes each _returnValues array element returned by the GAR function after 10s - seems to be keeping my memory footprint stable at 200-230MB total now.

Will continue testing it for a day and then will add it to JungleCharmakaFixes.

Ty you finding and 'hopefully' patching this, kind of a nasty oversight