Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roo

Introduce "Universal" Skills

5 posts in this topic

I do believe this was talked about before (at least on the development side of things) and I think I downvoted it before, but thinking back that was stupid.

So in the spirit of custom characters, and limitless possibilities, with the skill update it still seems that some race / class builds are still limited to a select few being the cream of the crop.

Therefore it would be nice if we had "Universal" Skills for all Classes that are weaker than their Class / Race specific counterparts, but could make a load of difference for newer players with less gear, and on the flip side for veteran players they could find some more use in prestiging by gaining more utility out of their character.

I was thinking instead of the 30% Ratio of T3 Enchant:Skill Strength Rosemourne implemented with the newest skillset (I think that was the baseline.) The skills would instead be a flat 1% to the big 6 base stats (Mind, Power, Agility, Endurance, Life, and Luck). Then on top of that we could do a 1% Magic Find, 3% Experience, 2% Damage Multipliers, 1% Damage Resists, 1% Affliction Cause, and .1% HP/MP Leech.

For simplicity, we could say you have a Gnome Pirate, you got your bread and butter skills in Falchions, your 2 MF Skills and your 2 Luck skills. Say you've prestiged a few times and are level 80/80/12, which means you've each skill capped. Well, you could go for another 35 grueling prestige levels to get a level 35 Cooldown skill, but as a magic find character, that doesn't really benefit you much. (Limited utility against Ubers, maybe, but is that really worth the hassle? I think not.)

At any rate, this could give players an incentive to keep prestiging to get those extra boosts, both new players and vets alike would benefit strongly, as well as remove some of the distaste for "unfavorable" classes/race combos new players tend to make.

• (Wed 10:46pm) [KOA] foob Tilared: (whispered to you) i still think guilds should have perks...lvling up guild is worthless...why not give 5%extra mf at lvl 50 or something
  • (Wed 10:56pm) clear.gif[FK] Braindrain Roo: (whispered to foob Tilared) I like that idea, throw that up on my post too, that'd be nice to see. Use the experience gained as a currency to purchases guild-wide upgrades

I like a universal boost to skills and upgrades. I think Dook a while ago also suggested loot boosts happening gamewide.

How is your first post work as a universal upgrade though?

On 8/10/2017 at 4:05 PM, Miaow said:

I like a universal boost to skills and upgrades. I think Dook a while ago also suggested loot boosts happening gamewide.

How is your first post work as a universal upgrade though?

Universal Skill meaning it works exactly like Attack! and Rest, whereas it's on EVERY character regardless of race / class combination.

So a Orc Rogue would have
[Class]Savage Attack
[Class]Tension
[Class]Rage!!
[Race] Slit
[Race] Serrated Blades
[Race] Nimble Fingers
[Race] Discipline
[Race] Shadow Strike
[Universal] Attack!
[Universal] Rest
[Universal] Power
[Universal] Luck
[Universal] Experience
Etcetera.

It would be a bit clunky I suppose, adding 6 for each major stat (Mind / Luck / Power...) then 7 for damage types (Fire, Ice, Lightning...) then 4 more for Exp, MF, and HP/MP Leech...A total of 17 skills in all, compared to our current 10 on all toons.

At any rate it would help players shy away from the cookie-cutter builds a bit more, alleviate the pain of a poorly chosen class / race combination for new players, and finally give veterans a reason to prestige other than bragging rights or a cooldown skill they hardly ever use.

Though the idea is for the "Universal Skills" as I call them is to be severely less appetizing as their race / class counterparts. (If a Race skill gives you 2% Power, I think the Universal should grant 1%.) so choosing a specific class / race to suit your playstyle or intended build is a lot easier, and you can pick and choose if a few skills don't quite mesh on one build vs another.

On 12/08/2017 at 3:24 AM, Roo said:

Universal Skill meaning it works exactly like Attack! and Rest, whereas it's on EVERY character regardless of race / class combination.

So a Orc Rogue would have
[Class]Savage Attack
[Class]Tension
[Class]Rage!!
[Race] Slit
[Race] Serrated Blades
[Race] Nimble Fingers
[Race] Discipline
[Race] Shadow Strike
[Universal] Attack!
[Universal] Rest
[Universal] Power
[Universal] Luck
[Universal] Experience
Etcetera.

It would be a bit clunky I suppose, adding 6 for each major stat (Mind / Luck / Power...) then 7 for damage types (Fire, Ice, Lightning...) then 4 more for Exp, MF, and HP/MP Leech...A total of 17 skills in all, compared to our current 10 on all toons.

At any rate it would help players shy away from the cookie-cutter builds a bit more, alleviate the pain of a poorly chosen class / race combination for new players, and finally give veterans a reason to prestige other than bragging rights or a cooldown skill they hardly ever use.

Though the idea is for the "Universal Skills" as I call them is to be severely less appetizing as their race / class counterparts. (If a Race skill gives you 2% Power, I think the Universal should grant 1%.) so choosing a specific class / race to suit your playstyle or intended build is a lot easier, and you can pick and choose if a few skills don't quite mesh on one build vs another.

Sounds good! More dimensions to the builds, which I do agree is still not equal across class and races.